July 16-22, Vacation Week

Body: Held up fairly well through all the driving. Did very well with the hiking. Felt the altitude, but compared to the hubs, my recovery pauses were super short, so that gave me some confidence.
  • Short 1m walk on Sunday just to break up the drive 
  • Three short hikes on Monday at Rocky; tried to get a long one in, rain kept taking us down
  • Short dumb hike then a nice long tough hike on Tuesday at Rocky; finally, what I looked forward to for so long
  • Manitou Incline on Wednesday; harder than I expected, but probably could've chopped off a half hour without the hubs' longer rest periods - I had wanted to go back a second time the next day, solo, but logistics prevented it
  • Short easy hike on Thursday at Garden of the Gods, more about sheep spotting
The Incline day was the only day that turned out rough; we checked in early for a nap at the hotel, and I felt drained the rest of the day. It included the drive up Pike's Peak, and that made me feel nauseous besides. Rotten. I think that lingered into Thursday. We drove to some more sight-seeing and I didn't want to leave the truck; another hike sounded Herculean.

Brain: Low spots: blown tire, 2 hour delay. Two hotels double-charging us. Hubs deciding he should probably have better shoes at breakfast on Monday, further delaying our start so we could go shopping. Rain thwarting two attempted long hikes on our first day. Spontaneous concept falling apart when it meant we didn't know what we wanted to do. Struggling to find a place to eat, always, every day, three times a day. Wishing desperately I could do normal vacation eating.

High spots: petting goats while tires were replaced. No dogs or cats waking me up. Cousin Jen, family, & yurt. 3 books read and much studying accomplished. Mountains. Wildlife. No crises back home. Mountains. Finally getting to climb the Incline. Hubs willing to do whatever I wanted. Snow in July. Forgetting about real life troubles for a nice long time. Mountains. Under budget. Cobb salads, meat & potatoes, & breakfast food. Mountains. Hubs time.

No comments:

Post a Comment