Friday, July 8

Body: Fair. Left shin much improved, and at Relay it wasn't even a thing after a couple hours. Whew! Feet hurt quite a bit early on, so I swapped to cushier shoes, but the toe box was a little too cramped for happy toes. Lucky I was smart enough to wear Injinjis otherwise I definitely would've had toe-to-toe blisters. Rest of body did well: hips fine, knees fine, glutes fine, surprised there was NOTHING there. Some trap soreness from looking left for too long in the first few hours (chitchatting with Katelynn) and then too much looking down, but hey, that's trail-race training right there. Probably should've paid better attention to water/food/salt but I just kind of waited until I felt crappy and then looked at the time and realized I needed to sit down for some intake. It worked, I never got to feeling too poorly. Even clean-up wasn't quite as exhausting this year, but I was very happy to head home.

Brain: Very busy workday (scattershot would be a good term for it), so I did what had to get done, and completely set aside a Friday task to do it this weekend, because I just didn't have the attention span to get it done today. Felt the usual tiredness coming into Relay, where I've emotionally spent myself in all the donation requests, and physically BLEAH on a hot sunny afternoon, and wishing all the people would get out of my way so I could walk because that's why I'm here, although I enjoyed cruising with Katelynn & my parents. And once all of that passed and the sun went down, my brain state improved immensely. Spent a good amount of time chitchatting with Chief but not enough. I like being able to just talk with him about random shit like books or funny stories or just plain life, and not be in "student/teacher" mode all the damned him. When he left, DQ was my buddy, and then he started running again and I was solo for a while - actually enjoyable because I could walk at my exact pace and not think, just not think about anything at all - and then Chris showed up which was a nice surprise. Then Chief returned and DQ quit running and we finished up after I finally hit 26.2. Then clean-up which takes an hour but feels so much longer (and also feels so wasteful) and then home to delighted pets and a blissful bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment