Saturday, July 26

Nutrition: Camping breakfast of bacon, eggs, yams, & coffee: perfect! Lunch at the Duluth Grill was a bomb-ass salad with handmade balsamic vinaigrette thus true olive oil! Didn't feel the slightest bit deprived. Snacks on the trip home. But I realized I've GOT to start figuring out what can go into my belly on a long trail run. MUST have things I can eat at aid stations or in drop bags, as I don't know that I'll have any kind of crew there.

Sleep: 7.75 hours in bed, 1015p-6a, 98% quality. That's as far off as it could be. I was expecting to see 50% or less! Must have been the stiff camper mattress didn't register my tossing & turning. Took a while to fall asleep due to heat, then I woke up constantly: had too-big ear plugs so they hurt, thus I popped out the right one at some point, which meant I could hear the train whistle several times, ugh. Woke up at a very uncomfortable angle but somehow my neck didn't stay stiff, whew!

Healthy Movement: Got up feeling better than expected. Stood all morning at aid station, felt fine.

We ate lunch and then headed up to Gooseberry, to trek the start for Brian's 100-miler. It was very hot heading out for our run, but I was hopeful since I felt pretty good. But the run was the fucking worst. It was a 20-minute walk in the sun before we even hit the start which didn't help things. Then we ran two miles of direct sun & the [new] usual out-of-whack breathing, and just as things began to settle, I felt my legs telling me they were tired, the heat began to really hit me, my hands got fat, and justlikethat I was SO fucking over it. I realized I'd had almost no water while working the aid station, since I had wanted to avoid needing to use the woods. It was 80-ish, which shouldn't be that bad for late July, but I've had few hot runs this cool summer, thus I have zero acclimation. So many reasons for it to go poorly, and it did. Humbling and frustrating. I was having no fun and felt like a pathetic little wimp, knowing Brian totally could have done the full two hours we'd planned. Of course he was perfectly understanding but it was frustrating to hold him back when he needs all the SHT miles he can find.

I have serious work to do before pacing Brian in his 100, which is just 6 weeks away. Luckily I only have to get to around 15 miles, tops. But that's not much time, given a couple weekends of social stuff like Terri's visit or the Marthaler gathering. Yikes; I MUST prioritize the running over the lifting sessions each weekend, and also reduce them to strictly bench & pull and that is IT.

Post-run we cooled off for a bit in the river, which helped, as did the bottle of ice-cold water I slammed as soon as we reached the cooler. Drive back was long, we stopped a few times and getting out I felt so damned stiff - any movement felt good. Shoulders/neck got the worst of it, reading probably exacerbated the usual awful vehicle posture.

Fun & Play: Aid station was a great time, refueling badass runners while hanging in the woods in the shade and NOT killing myself on the trail. Fabulous lunch. Pre-run excitement. River standing. Finished a book. Got home to overjoyed pooches and SHOWERED and slept in my OWN BED and snuggled with my kittehs.

No comments:

Post a Comment