Thursday, May 23

Nutrition: GOTD is 1800 calories, W30D4. Snacky. Wanted pop. (And a nap.) (And a day off.) Exceptions: Arctic Zero, Tanka bar. You know, I'm really only focusing on food quality, so I guess I shouldn't even call it Whole30-ing, more like 100% paleo-ing. Oh, well. No one reads this anyway, do they?

Consumed: 2 eggs, chicken sausage, side pork, Brussels sprouts, roasted garlic & cauliflower, half yam, 2c reg w/ T coconut milk; sl egg bake, bag pork jerky, apple, 2c reg; Tanka bar; bag apple chips, pint Arctic Zero, bottle kombucha; salad w/ basamic vinegar, asparagus w/ side pork, pork roast w/ 2T raspberry jalapeƱo sauce, apple
Tally: 925cal P, 800cal C, 75cal F = 1800 total

Sleep: 7.75 hours in bed, 9p-445a, 93% quality. That's too high; wide awake just before 3a (though not h/s/g) and dozed in/out after that. I'd call it more like 80%. Got up feeling fairly rested but still tired.

Body: Aching. Glutes are VERY sore today. Really feeling those dips, too. Sat for couple hours in AM, meetings in PM. Planned to run right up until 20 minutes before noon, when I realized I was not just mentally drained, but also physically, and felt in desperate need of a nap. I didn't want to run - and thus, shouldn't - except I did want to run with Lisa to catch up. But we shall run trails on Saturday instead, so it'll be okay. Pulls completely forgotten, too used to rest days!

Brain: Tired but able to appreciate the sun and May greenness on the drive in. But tired. A little BLEAH & cranky, spacey & a little useless, worsening as the morning went on. At lunch I drove to the Grain Bin for an errand, but also bought a snack-filled lunch, then drove to the farmhouse, parked in the shade, opened my windows, and listened to a funny podcast while I ate. It was EXACTLY what my brain needed. Food was a big mental indulgence, it was fairly quiet, and the green helped a TON. A little boost after arrangements to run at SJU on Monday morning with the 50k beasts. Eve boost of fun at the dog park with Hank's Great Dane buddies.

And serious jealousy learning Dustin & Mike got to climb the Manitou Incline. I read about that in Runner's World last year sometime, and immediately wanted to DO EET. I started telling Hop about it tonight and he said, "Yeah, yeah, you told me about that thing once already." So, clearly on my bucket list. Must do!

Grateful: That I have a Chief who thinks like this:
The sign of a really excellent routine is one which places great demands on the athlete, yet produces progressive long-term improvement without soreness, injury, or the athlete ever feeling thoroughly depleted. Any fool can create a program that is so demanding that it would virtually kill the toughest Marine...but not any fool can create a tough program that produces progress without unnecessary pain. 
-Dr. Mel C. Siff
Because, left to my own devices, I am simply a complete fool. I suspect today's fatigue & poor recovery is not just poor sleep but also because I don't think my body likes my class all that much. Or at least, not without more calories. But my brain loves my class! How to win that battle?

No comments:

Post a Comment