Monday, January 21

Nutrition: Many small meals throughout the day. Used to do that all the time and got tired of it, doing it today just for something different. Big supper, though: snacky.

5a-c reg
6a-c reg w/ 2T coconut milk, Uberbar, supps
630a-taught class (warm-up, PT stretches)
7a-pulls & pushes
8a-chicken sausage, 2c reg
9a-2c half-caff
945a-oz almonds
130p-salad w/ balsamic, chicken sausage, med apple, supps
3p-Larabar
7p-c asparagus, pork carnitas w/ cole slaw, micro cake, c herbal tea w/ 2T coconut milk, supps
Throughout day-2.5 quarts water

NCP post has numbers updated.

Sleep: 8 hours in bed, 9p-5a, 87% quality. Woke constantly after 3a again, but I did feel fairly rested. Forgot to take ZMA.

Body: I pretty much feel fantastic today.

Stretches x2 (645a, 8p). Pulls after class 5x4, /3, /1, /1 - grip was just plain GONE on the kips. OH press 10x5 (same two minutes rest) - a good time to do these, fills the post-class "OMG I wanna do SOMETHING" urge.

Brain: Feeling like "me" again. Long stressful at TS yet again, but managed to keep calm & capable and see it all as manageable challenges.

Grateful: For the incredibly frustrating knee pain that led me to NSS back in '09.

This weekend I was musing over how things played out on Friday. I felt 100% awful in the morning: I hated myself, I hated my job, I hated everything I had to do, simply felt DONE with everyone and everything, everywhere. Like truly depressed people must feel every single second. I was thisclose to canceling my session to go home and sleep, something I have never done.

I went anyway because I knew the dose of movement and therapy would return a little perspective - it always does. Dustin had a heads-up that I was In A Mood (otherwise he surely would've figured it out when he asked me about the interview). He changed up my programming (took away max pull-ups, knowing they would suck and that would cause me to beat myself up even more), got me talking about other stuff, random silly anythings besides me and my horrid internal voice, focused my brain with sumo deadlifts, etc.

When I was finished I felt like a completely different person. And then working there all afternoon with Holea's Friday-afternoon goofiness, plus a bit of chatting with Ashley - that was another serving of wonderful that lightened me up considerably.

Here's what Friday might have looked like if I didn't have NSS: go home and nap, wake up still thinking I suck, and never get out of that funk, leading to a crap long run Saturday morning, and a weekend full of funk. Or perhaps I would've found the effort to work out on my own, and I'm positive I would've chosen Spartacus-style and really beat myself into the ground to get a dose of endorphins - then woke up shot on Saturday and had a terrible long run, again continuing the funk all weekend. (Of course, that's if I had even gotten the ability to run again without Dustin!)

And THAT is a whole bunch of blathering to explain why I prioritize training as a requirement, not a luxury. I want need to be strong & healthy in both body & mind, and NSS helps immensely with both of those.

Without that damnable knee pain, where might I be today?

And to what glorious mountaintop might the current valley bring me?

No comments:

Post a Comment