Recipe: Hoppe Breakfast Sausage Spice Mix

1 Tablespoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3/4 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon cayenne

Enough to flavor about 3 lbs ground meat; I usually hit up 2 lbs max because I prefer a more intense flavor. I love it on pork, and have also done a venison/pork combo. Patty it up, or sprinkle over loose burger if you're lazy like I am.

Speaking of loose, the spice combo is pretty flexible. Tweak to your own preferences. I mis-read and only used a teaspoon of salt the first few times. Want more cayenne? Got fresh thyme? Sugar de-toxing? Play with it!

Just don't forget this one thing: enjoy the stray crispy browned bits, the top benefit of being the cook. NOM NOM NOM!

Smart people, like my friend Joy, will mix up an extra-large batch so it's ready to use at any time. Not that it takes much effort to make, though. If I find it easy, anyone will.

A few lucky people received this as their Christmas gift from me. So if you loved it, now you know how to make it!

Full disclosure: recipe was adapted from this site...for rabbit meat. (Oh noooz, not bunnies!)

No comments:

Post a Comment