Read This: Fit and Feminist

I have not seen much of the Olympics, but apparently there has been a whole lotta comments & hoopla about certain women and their appearances. Not their athleticism or talent, but their revealing uniforms or overly-muscled or -fat bodies or their god damn hair.

(Oh, and where are the matching critques for the men? Silly Sabrina!)

The article naturally blasts these people for adding to the body image issues women & girls have already, constantly comparing ourselves to air-brushed perfection and falling short every single time.

Because, really, seriously: what kind of world is it where an Olympic athlete is expected to have pretty hair while winning a fucking gold medal?

Find it here: Female Olympians Fight Back Against Shamers and Haters


Anyway, moving beyond just getting my feminist underbritches in a big ol' bunch - this particular paragraph smacked me in the face: 
But just because people are critical, it doesn’t mean what they say is true or valid. It doesn’t mean that they are right. And most importantly, it doesn’t mean we have to take their bullshit seriously. It’s so important that I think it bears repeating: Just because someone says something shitty about your appearance, it doesn’t mean they are right. It just means they are an asshole.

I've don't think I've ever had anyone in my life truly criticize my appearance, other than the off-hand "You're getting too skinny" crap from two years ago. Which did hurt, but was easily brushed off, because I knew I was a long way from being unhealthy.

So why did this paragraph stop me cold? Because I re-read it like so, and instantly related to it:

But just because your internal self is critical, it doesn’t mean what she says is true or valid. It doesn’t mean that she is right. And most importantly, it doesn’t mean you have to take her bullshit seriously. It’s so important that I think it bears repeating: Just because she says something shitty about your appearance, it doesn’t mean she is right. It just means she is an asshole.

Pretty powerful stuff, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment