Friday, August 31

530a-fried egg, s chicken sausage, 2 sl toast, c asparagus, c reg, supps
630a-c reg w/ 2T coconut milk
7a-Spartacus
8a-small apple, oz almonds, Americano w/ SF syrup
11a-5oz tuna, 2c raw veg, oz almonds, can DCP, supps
430p-3.68m walk on Victoria's Revenge w/ Lisa
630p-c asparagus, 4.5oz pork roast w/ T honey mustard, 2c cantaloupe, Pure Organic bar, supps
Throughout day-3 quarts water

Felt a li'l pukey about 1pm and again about 6pm. Weird that this is happening all of a sudden, but it doesn't last too long, and I've never felt in real danger of puking, so, whatever. Will keep an eye on it.

Sleep: 8 hours in bed, 915-515. Solid.

Body: Feeling awesome, very well rested and strong. Heavy Spartacus left me feeling worthy of my Wonder Woman shirt. And bag. And mug.

Walked with Lisa pushing Baby M (ran up once, making Lisa the real Wonder Woman) and it was nice & fun & relaxing.

Brain: Massive craving for something high intensity to erase a serious annoyance last night (food or a workout, had to take my pick), and when I thought of Spartacus, I was 100% in for first thing in the morning. It was lovely and exactly what I was looking for.

I felt it was an especially appropriate response since I've once again been accused of overtraining (this was the annoyance). So this morning I turned off the automatic feed from DailyMile to FaceBook. Maybe it's the super visible workout postings that encourages that line of thought. I don't know. It used to be that people found the posts motivating, knowing where I used to be. But few people know/think of me as a former lazyass chubster who is simply trying to show that anyone can do what I can do, so perhaps it just appears that I'm obsessed with training - and in some cases it may make them feel like they are a lazyass chubster, which I want even less. So, fine, it's turned off.

But the overtraining accusation annoyed the fuck out of me, mostly because I make a hell of an effort not to do more than I do. And also because I call bullshit. My regular problem, in my uneducated opinion, is under-recovering, not overtraining. There is a difference.

However: I will admit that during tax season, it's possible I was overtraining (or at least marching directly toward it), due mostly to all the mental stress I was putting on myself. But then again, since it was not so much physical as it was mental...I am still inclined to call it under-recovering, not overtraining.

The main difference lies in the solution. If I'm overtraining, I need to stop workouts and rest until the nervous system fully recovers. If I'm under-recovering, it's a matter of getting more sleep, better nutrition, more calories, etc - but I can keep on training.

This whole back-and-forth, which-one-is-it thinking coincided nicely with what I read about G-Flux yesterday (in short: train a lot so you can eat a lot - with caveats, of course [you don't get to eat pizza every day]). You can bet your sweet ass that I was all OMFG I WANT THAT. It prompted me to look at my caloric intake back in 2010, and the lowest weekly average I ever hit was 1634. During this summer's efforts, I've considered that to be a "medium" intake level. With more muscle and heavier lifting. Um, can you say "stupid"? Stoo-PID!

So starting yesterday, I raised my intake goals a bit. It obviously makes sense that eating more will be the key to feeling better, which will keep me from crashing so hard that I skip workouts (which leads to typical overachiever mental stress) or I overeat (ditto). The super obvious question, of course, it just how much more I can eat without adding fat, but it's not like I plan to jump up to 3000 calories a day (don't I wish, though!). Aiming for 1700ish this week; my long run falls on Monday, which is technically next week, so I feel that's appropriate.

We'll see what Steve has to say on Tuesday. I decided today that I could be an ideal student: great at tracking & planning, great at following directions, committed & motivated & ambitious, completely unable to eat junk food, etc. Or I could be the worst student ever, as I have more goals than is remotely reasonable: lose fat, get stronger, get faster, gain endurance, work 2 jobs, volunteer, etc.

Acne: Robb Wolf mentioned that garlic is a common allergen. News to me. I hardly ever use it at home...could be common when eating out. But just in general I went: "Oh, shit, am I really supposed to track fucking spices, too?!" UGH. And on that note, to the person who said my tracking was an obsession: (a) DUH, no shit, Dick Tracy! and (b) How else am I supposed to figure out my allergies/sensitivities? Or am I just supposed to eat whatever I like and hate my face every day?

Quote:
We can die before we die, by disengaging from our present, or we can live until the very last drop.
-Run Like A Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment