Saturday, January 21

615a-c reg, supps
7a-almond milk latte
915a-2c reg
1030a-2c pumpkin spice tea, supps
2p-3oz jerky, oz cashews, 2c tea, supps
530p-oz smoked almonds
7p-pizza (GF crust, turkey pepperoni, daiya "cheese," green olives, tomato sauce), pint Arctic Zero, supps
8p-Met Effect hot cocoa, Sunbutter bar

Planned a fast-until-supper day. John Romaniello recently wrote about various fasting protocols, and said he regularly does his version (called Feast/Fast) as an all-day fast after an all-out cheat day. This is sort of what I'm doing here, combined with Eat-Stop-Eat's 24-hour fast. So: a giant Friday night meal, then fasting until supper Saturday.

At least, that was the theory. I ended up standing all day at the tax firm, so I ate a meal early, at 2. (And discovered my jerky has WHEAT. Gah.)

Is fasting a stupid thing to do the day before a long run? It's not calorie restriction, because I had a full rack of ribs Friday night - nearly a full day of calories right there. Is it stressful on the body to fast, as Whole9 says? Or good for the body, as the entire IF crowd says? Fuck if I know. But it fits my life. A super indulgent splurge meal, followed by fasting, is better on my brain than no splurge meal - and it's even better than a splurge followed by a return to normal eating, because I'm a freak like that. The question that really matters, though, is whether it's better on my body.


-Upper body still very sore, no am or pm pulls. Calves & Achilles pretty tight.

Weight: 135.6 lbs, 22.7% body fat - yesterday a 2lb drop, today a 2lb increase. Meh.

Sleep: 8.5 hours in bed. Still woke at 315am, this time hot/sweaty/gross. I would blame that on the massive supper. Curious, though, why it's always 3-330am. Maybe has to do with cats moving at that time?

Misc: Taxurday. Used stand-up desk all day. Found myself leaning forward a lot more than at TS, could feel it in my lower back that I wasn't paying attention/correcting well enough, but it was muscular, not disc issue. Also, Jesus Aitch Christ: I worked 730am-615pm, no breaks except when I popped into other offices for questions & immediately sat! Maybe an hour of that was on my ass. Felt it in my knees & feet & brain, and crashed pretty hard on the couch at home. We watched The Incredible Hulk and part of Jackass 3.5. (Yeah, I have many of the same tastes as a 15-year boy. What of it?)

Also, popped in to see my mom after work. She was staying overnight at a retreat house with 5 other women (one of whom was my 2nd grade teacher, another of whom was my Sunday school teacher! Ah, small towns.), where they spend their weekend crafting: quilting, purse-making, embroidering, etc. I walked out with three main thoughts: (1) it's pretty damn uplifting to be introduced as, "This is my beautiful daughter" and be prompted to share tomorrow's run plan and last Saturday's meet results; (2) those women were busting out the wine and planning to go out for drinks later on, living more largely than me, the one who's 20-30 years younger; and (3) what the hell will me and my friends be doing at a retreat getaway when we're that age? I sure as fuck don't expect to be running a sewing machine! Maybe our retreats will be up in the hills and we'll be hiking and exploring and having log-throwing contests.

Acne: Weekend breakouts are disappearing, but new ones arrived yesterday. Now that I see my jerky has wheat, perhaps Thursday night's jerky was the cause? If so, holy SHIT I've gotten sensitive to it!

Quote:

The most important words we'll ever utter are those words we say to ourselves, about ourselves, when we're by ourselves.
-Al Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment