Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger: Day 4

Well, I hit some bumps in the road trip today.

8 hours in bed. Woke hot/sweaty/gross at 3, bathroom, water, felt dehydrated. 53g carbs at supper (43g from 1.5c grapes. GAH.)

Due to my 10:30p bedtime & the 3am wake-up: when my alarm went off at 4, I shut it off. I woke naturally at 630a. Did NOT want to run, just felt ... lethargic. Decided that was a sign I needed a rest day; I also figured tomorrow's 5k race will be the intensity equivalent of 4.5 miles @ MP, so my training schedule is still on-track! However, this unplanned rest effed up yesterday's calorie target, AND meant I should only eat 1405 calories today. Oops. I considered throwing in a long bike ride, but I just wasn't feeling it. Again, for this fitness addict, that's a sure sign of a needed rest day.

I ran a ton of errands in Sauk: filled my below-the-E gas tank, got coffee for me & cookies for my dad; visited CMFCU to hold off on a certificate renewal as potential house-money (eee!) and had a convo with my loan officer (and good friend's husband); fixed Dad’s QuickBooks all right & proper; received a coutner-offer on the house ($74.5k) and made our own counter-offer ($65k); ate (free!) lunch w/ both parents; and visited 2 grocery stores (because my local meat market was having an awesome sale on chicken breasts). Back home, I made a bunch of food over ~3 hours: egg bake, stir fry, salads, hb eggs (recipes/tips follow). I grazed too much while I cooked, though (everything was SO GOOD); alternatively, my calories would’ve been right on w/o the bag of Angie's Kettle Corn, but, hey, I have a race tomorrow!


Down side of the day: I'm getting seriously frustrated over the acne. There's a million recommendations out there for what to eat, what not to eat (pretty much everything I already avoid [uh, popcorn is on that list, though]), which supplements to take, oh wait, those supplements are dangerous ... it is making my fucking head hurt. I'm even looking at symptoms of hypoglycemia, for fuck's sake. I don't know what to do or where to go for help.

Food details: 7a-fried egg, chick saus, c reg, fish oil, Met, FiberSmart, vit D, zinc; 730a-c reg; 8a-4 almonds; 9a-hb egg, 4 almonds; 12p-salad w/ fruit, chicken, balsamic, hb egg, 2c reg; 1p-4 almonds; 2p-8 almonds; 230p-bag lite kettle corn; 330p-2.5oz brat patty; 4p-3oz chicken; 445p-12 almonds; 6p-stir fry, zinc, FiberSmart, Met, fish oi; 8p-magnesium
Totals: 1938 cal, 95g fat (20 sat), 154g carbs (33 fiber), 141g protein - goal of 1405

If I feel up to it, I might just tack on a bike ride tomorrow afternoon, which will boost up today's target. But not by 600 calories, unfortunately! Still, for eating all damn afternoon, AND getting in a bag of kettle corn, this was a perfectly reasonable day. And on a HOLIDAY besides!!

Oh, didn't I mention I work at an awesome company that closes up shop the Friday closest to its birthday every year? It's called Hooky Day, and it freaking rocks, my friend.

Recipes & tips for what I made today:

Perfect HB Eggs
(courtesy of Joy of Cooking)
Start with the oldest eggs you've got, not a brand new carton, to make them easiest to peel. Bring pot of water to a boil. Add eggs, return to boil, then turn down to a simmer for 14 minutes. Plunge in new container of cold water, add fresh cold water a few minutes later, and then stick 'em in the fridge a few minutes after that. You're done!

You've got an easy, nutritious snack or tasty salad topper: 70 calories, 1g carbs, 5g fat, 6g protein

Egg bake (12 servings)
Cooked up 1.06 lbs bratwurst patties (first time purchased, and OMG LOVE, though the fat levels are, well, less than ideal) in covered non-stick pan. When done, put on cutting board to cool. Meanwhile, greased 9x13 pan with garlic-infused olive oil. Chopped an onion & spread in pan. Cubed 3 of the 4 patties (oops, while I ate the other one) & layered on top of onions. Chopped an entire head of cauliflower & layered on top of meat. Whisked a dozen eggs & a cup of egg whites (makes it super fluffy), poured on top, and baked for an hour at 350. Cut into 12 squares, and greedily ate the random pieces that fell off.

Freaking awesomesauce. My egg bakes are different every time, based on what's on hand, but I always recommend onions, cauliflower, & added egg whites. If you've never roasted cauliflower, put it on the top of your to-do list RANOW; the flavor will blow your mind. If you can handle dairy, add cottage cheese and/or Greek yogurt to boost the protein.

A very filling snack or eat-on-the-go breakfast: 182 calories, 3.6g carbs, 13g fat, 12g protein

Stir fry (6 servings)
Cooked 3lbs chicken in covered non-stick pan (after cooking the egg bake's patties & NOT cleaning the pan; use that tasty fat!). When done, put it onto a cutting board to cool; put 5s Pollock in the (still un-cleaned) pan along w/ a chopped onion, re-covered, simmered. Cubed chicken & a bunch of bok choi. When fish was done, added spice, bok choi, 1.5c frozen pea pods, 3c frozen broccoli, chicken, and re-covered. After about 5 minutes, decided to pull out fillets, cubed them, then put 'em back in & re-covered. Let that cook for a while, taste tested it, cooked it a bit longer, and THEN the fishiness was gone and it was delicious. I have no idea how long the last bit of simmering took. Maybe 20 minutes?

This is how I cook, peeps, take it or leave it! There is still some yummy juice in the pan. It's going to be used for adding flavor to tomorrow's eggs & chicken sausage at breakfast.

It made for low-cal, low-carb, high-protein deliciousness (that's what I call a "win win win win"): 260 calories, 20g carbs, 2g fat, 44g protein (!)

Salad ingredients (made 5)
3 carrots, c celery, c cabbage, .5c spinach, .5c lettuce mix

With 2T balsamic vinegar & a hard-boiled egg, you're looking at a super healthy low-cal lunch: 183 calories, 26g carbs, 6g fat, 10g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment