Whole30, Day 25

Sunday was a long, long day at the tax firm: 830a-830p. 12 hours! This was solely so that I could skip out tonight to attend the Blizzard game. Those boys had better win!!

Nutrition was practically perfect!
615a-fried egg, chicken sausage, .5c grapes, c regular coffee, fish oil, dandelion root, magnesium, zinc, vitamin D
730a-c decaf coffee
8a-1.5c regular coffee
9a-2c cooked carrots, chicken sausage, 1.5c regular coffee
11a-3oz shrimp, 6T salsa, small apple
12p-chef salad (no cheese/dressing), 1.5c regular coffee, dandelion root
330p-tiny tangerine, chicken sausage, 1.5c decaf coffee
5p-c eggplant, chicken sausage, dandelion root
7p-7oz ham steak
9p-zinc, fish oil, magnesium
930p-2 Benadryl
TOTALS: 1288 cal, 44g  fat (14 sat), 99g carbs (19 fiber), 137g protein

It was a planned low day, and I did quite well; I'm especially impressed I got my protein up so high on so few calories! 30% fat, 30% carbs, 40% protein, which is pretty close to ideal for a low day (for me; may not apply to everyone). I felt like I ate plenty & often; was not feeling deprived at all. Okay, except when I watched my dad eat a hot buttered dinner roll while I ate my salad. I miss bread so much!

I definitely felt my energy flagging toward the end of the day, but that may be a result of working on taxes for 12 hours. (Ya think?) Plus, it was a cloudy, misty, curl-up-on-the-couch kind of weather day, which also made me crave tons of hot coffee; I had double the caffeine that I normally do! Oops.

A few tips:
-Overnight on Saturday, I put a ham steak in one slow cooker, no seasonings required. In the other slow cooker: half a chicken (homegrown by my mom), and 5 packages of frozen Ploughshare veggies: 2.5c sliced carrots, 2c spinach, & 2c dandelion roots. I sprinkled this with Tastefully Simple's Fiesta Party Dip Mix - and that's it! Walk away. On Sunday morning, I portioned it out into containers, and I had 5 meals and a few sides of carrots ready to go. Easy peasy!
-Shrimp & salsa = a very easy, very healthy snack. 3oz shrimp and 2T salsa tallies just 99 calories, with a pretty spectacular macro breakdown:10% fat, 16% carbs, 74% protein. Just read your salsa contents and make sure it isn't full of junk.
-I figured out that 3oz of shrimp fit perfectly into my 1-cup storage containers, so I can skip the scale and just fill up the container; I am going to use this technique as often as possible! I've gotten fairly good at eyeballing serving sizes, but it's very, very easy to underestimate quantities, and smart to re-check yourself every now and then.
-Smart shopping: at Elden's on Saturday I bought 10 packages of Alaska Pollock for a mere $5. For the rest of this week, most fish are 10/$10, plus shrimp is on sale as well - you can bet I'm going back to stock up on even more!
-I told my parents all about the Whole30 plan. They asked me what on earth they could make for Easter, and I laughed. Meat! Fruit! Vegetables! Just don't slather it in sauces or butter, and there's plenty of options. We decided on a home-brined and -smoked turkey (that Dad hopes to go hunt down in the woods this week); sweet potatoes, for which I'll bring Joy's Amazing Spiced Pear Apple Butter (they were practically drooling as I described it); fresh fruit & vegetables, and of course any other sides that I'll have to ignore. (My father simply can NOT have a holiday meal without mashed potatoes and bread!)
-And I have neither made nor tasted this, but it sounds downright delicious: Brazilian Fish Stew, courtesy of my fantastic foodie buddy Joy. I confess the phrase "fish stew" sounds all kinds of wrong to me, but the ingredient list is mouth-watering. I will surely try making this once tax season ends; however, I don't see the point of blending the vegetables smooth. I like my soups & stews to be chunky, as they "seem" more filling that way. Plus, why dirty the blender?
-Another restaurant visit, another cold salad. This one at least was a chef salad, and I only had to specify no cheese and decline the dressing. I really should just start toting around balsamic vinegar in my purse!

No comments:

Post a Comment