Whole 30: Day 1

So you probably know that I already eat pretty dang healthy, but I have an issue I must fix pronto: bad acne. I have a chin full of cysts and want to cry every time I look in the mirror. That's no way to live. I've already deduced that dairy causes acne, and I've been avoiding it since September (a tough challenge, that). However, there's something else that has been causing acne again for the last month, and I have not figured it out. Yesterday I committed to a diet eliminating nuts, fake sugar, gluten, all supplements other than FiberSmart (still having digestive issues), and, hardest of all, jerky & smoked meats. Once my skin is clear, I will start adding things back one by one.

That was yesterday's plan. Today I discovered this site and now THAT is my new plan.

In short: whole foods only; no added sugar (real or artificial); no processed foods; no alcohol; no grains; no legumes; no dairy; no white potatoes. No cheat meals, no splurges, no exceptions.

I'm allowing myself ONE exception only: pre-race kettle corn, tomorrow. (Yes, already on day 2, ha!) It's my one racing tradition that so far has provide me with a Boston-qualifying marathon, & an age-group-winning 5k! I certainly can't stop it now, when the 7k time goal could potentially put me in the top 3 of my age group. And I will continue to weigh myself but only because I'm not going to focus on it. The fat loss side effect should be awesome, but at this point it's all about the acne.

Other than those exceptions, I'm fully committed to this. It's killing my brain to hate seeing my face every day; it's affecting me far more than the stalled fat loss, because that I can understand & temporarily accept (it will return once tax season ends, just 32 more days). It's not going to be easy, but as the site says:

It is not hard. Don’t you dare tell us this is hard. Giving up heroin is hard. Beating cancer is hard. Drinking your coffee black. Is. Not. Hard. You won’t get any coddling, and you won’t get any sympathy for your “struggles.” YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE not to complete the program as written. It’s only thirty days, and it’s for the most important cause on earth – the only physical body you will ever have in this lifetime.

I also will use this challenge as a prompt for another challenge: 30 days of blogging. For reals. Daily. Hence the new home on blogspot (much more user-friendly). Once again, I'll point out you can see my food logs here on SparkPeople, but I'll also share my daily food plan & report here.

Today's food plan (subject to change, will report back tomorrow): 615a-fried egg, 2 slices organic bacon, c eggplant, c decaf coffee, FiberSmart; 7a-c decaf coffee; 730a-c regular coffee w/ t cinnamon; 1030a-homemade soup (ground turkey, cabbage, mushroom, onion, tomato), small apple; 130p-small apple; 230p-salad (spinach, carrot, celery, cauliflower, sweet peppers) w/ HB egg, balsamic vinegar; 630p-5oz pork ribs w/ baked apple, FiberSmart
TOTALS: 1257 cal, 59g fat (19 sat), 105g carbs (26 fiber), 84g protein (I'm not going to note it daily, but I always drink a ton of water. Generally a full gallon per day.)

This is actually very low calorie for me (maintenance is ~1900-2000), and far too low on protein (daily goal of 120g+). But I wasn't properly prepared for cutting out the jerky & smoked meats and I didn't think I'd come in this low today. It will be enough to survive, particularly since this is a rest day, but this is certainly not a standard day for me.

A few comments on the outlawed foods:
-No added sugar (real or artificial) - not a big deal, something I already decided to do for the acne. But there's so many places this is hidden that you might not think of, like gum.
-No processed foods - again not a big deal, except that I haven't even opened the rice milk I just purchased.
-No alcohol - no problem. I was an idiot who earned a DUI last May, and I've had zero desire to drink since then. I've had all of two beers in the last 10.5 months, and only because it was the sole beverage offered after the Mud Run, no other options (not even water).
-No grains - on a daily basis, no big deal, but my splurges have almost always been bread. I. Freaking. Love. Bread. But I can go without for 30 days. Also, kettle corn falls into this category. Not something I indulge in often, but it's a pre-race requirement, sorry.
-No legumes - I've already been avoiding peanuts & peanut butter as an acne test. And trying to avoid soy, but that shit is EVERYWHERE, yo. But eliminating processed foods pretty much takes care of that problem.
-No dairy - no problem. Except when eating out. I have learned to suspect butter everywhere. My go-to solution for restaurants is salads; thre's no cooking with hidden milk/butter so I know exactly what I'm getting, and I can get plenty of protein & veggies this way.
-No white potatoes - no problem, a rare food for me already.

Since it's not that far off my "Dustin diet" I don't think this will take a lot more effort. The biggest challenge I foresee is the eliminated of all splurging. But for the potential payoff of clear skin and liking my face again? Totally worth the sacrifice.

2 comments:

  1. I am excited for this new plan of yours, mostly so you can finally pinpoint what is causing your face grief and then eliminating THAT while also determining what you CAN still have. Seems like once you figure that out, it's pretty much smooth sailing from then on. Go, Sabrina, Go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoy your site and your recipes. Would you please consider adding a print option so we can enjoy your recipes a little more easily. Thank you.UpdateLand

    ReplyDelete